हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Onion Tomato Chutney
Onion tomato chutney is a variety of South Indian chutney made with cooked onions and tomatoes. I had this chutney in a vegetarian south Indian restaurant in Paris, France. It tasted so good and fresh that I decided to give it a try at home. Ever since I have tried a lot of variations of this chutney and am sharing my favorite one with you, my dear readers. In this chutney, the tempering is added before grinding the main ingredients. To make it more flavorful and aromatic I have added green chili and ginger. A hint of jiggery enhances the flavor of this chutney. This onion tomato chutney goes very well with dosas, Idly, Vadas, uttapams etc. Please try this recipe and do share your comments. Thanks and happy cooking, Shuchi
(makes about 1½ cups chutney)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 green chilies
- ½ an inch ginger piece
- 2 tsp oil
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1 whole red chili
- ½ tsp gram lentil (chana dal)
- ½ tsp urad dal
- ¼ tsp jaggery/ brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
Method of preparation:
- Peel, wash and roughly chop the onions.
- Wash and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Remove the stem and wash green chili. Peel the skin and wash ginger. Cut ginger into small pieces.
- In a pan, heat oil on medium heat. When oil is hot, crackle the mustard seeds & add curry leaves, red chilies, gram lentil, & urad lentil. Fry until lentils change the color.
- Add chopped onions, ginger and green chili. Fry until translucent, takes 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and fry for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Add salt and jaggery.
- Mix well and allow the onion tomato mixture to cool.
- In a blender, take this fried onion tomato mix. Blend the mix to a coarse chutney. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer the chutney in a serving bowl.
- Delicious onion tomato chutney is ready to serve. Serve with idli or dosa or uttapam, or your favorite South Indian delicacy.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- Make variations in this chutney as per taste.
- You can adjust the spice level as per taste.
- Ginger gives a nice flavor to this chutney so I recommend that you add it.
- Jaggery enhances the flavor so try to add a hint of jiggery.
A South Indian Platter
Some other similar recipes: