इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
In North India we do make different kinds of rice delicacies such as mangaudi ki tahri, badi ke chawal, pulavs, vegetable rice etc. My South Indian friends have taught me about a variety of rice preparations such as Bisibele bhaat, dahi chawal, vamingi bhaat, lemon rice, tamarind rice etc... This recipe is for Tamarind Rice, which is a a very popular South Indian preparation. Tamarinds are rich in Vitamin C and provide natural sour flavor to this tangy dish. Peanuts and lentils enhance the taste of this dish.
Approximately 1000 calories all together
- Cooked basmati Rice 3 cup
- Tamarind 20 gms/ Tamarind juice ¼ cup
- Peanuts/ groundnuts ¼ cup
- White sesame seeds 1 tbsp
- Ginger an inch piece
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Gram lentil 1 tbsp
- Urad lentil 1 tbsp
- Sugar/ Jaggery 1 tsp (optional)
- Oil 2-3 tbsp
- Dry red chilly 2-3
- Curry leaves 8-10
- Asafoetida powder ¼ tsp
- Salt 1¼ tsp or to taste
- Red chili powder ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Peanuts, curry leaves, tamarind pulp, red chilies etc for tamarind rice...
Method of preparation
- Use a fork to loosen and separate grains of cooked rice. For tamarind rce it would be better to cook the rice in advance and cool it a bit before you use it so rice don't get mushy.
- Peel the outer skin, wash, and cut the ginger into small pieces.
- Wash the tamarind and soak it in 1/4 cup warm water for 15 minutes.
- Press through a strainer into a bowl. Remove the seeds and the fibers of the tamarind. Keep the pulp aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds. When seeds pop up, add asafoetida. Now add curry leaf and whole red chilies. Fry for a few seconds .
- Add peanuts and fry for about 2 minutes on medium heat . The peanuts will change color. Add sesame seeds and fry for a few seconds.
- Now add gram lentils (chana dal) and fry for a few seconds. Now add urad lentils, and fry until lentils change the color. Add sesame seeds, fry for few seconds.
- Now Add finely cut ginger and fry for a few more seconds. Add turmeric, red chili powder and mix well. Add tamarind pulp and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Now add boiled rice and salt, and mix well. Cook for a couple of minutes. Turn off the heat.
Tamarind Rice is ready to serve.
Some Tips and Suggestions:
I like to add a hint of jaggery in my tamarind rice preparation.
I usually boil the rice in advance and let it cool down completely before making any rice delicacy, so ricedoes not break and looks clear and separated easily.
Tamarind Rice is a good option for Lunch box meal for kids as well as adults. With Tamarind rice there are some grapes and a gond ka laddu!