Shahi Kaju Curry
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Shahi kaju curry is a Royal, rich, festive curry preparation. Like any other royal dish this delicious creamy curry is made with cashews and makhane. For shahi kaju curry onions and tomatoes curry has a blend of aromatic spices. I have used Cashew nuts, green peas, and Euryale ferox/ Lotus puffs (makhane) to put in the curry, you can also add some other nuts in this preparation. This delicacy is a great hit for parties. Try this delicious shahi kaju curry and please do share your valuable thoughts. Happy cooking, Shuchi
Approximately 250 calories each serving
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Cashew nuts ½ cup
- Green peas ¾ cups
- Eurayle ferox / Lotus puffs (makhane) 1½ cups
- Onion 1 medium/ about 125 gms
- Green chilies 1-2
- Ginger 1½ inch piece
- Tomatos 2 medium (about 250 gms)
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Kasoori methi (dried methi) 1 tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Oil / ghee 3 tbsp
- Fresh cream ½ cup
- Water 1 cup
- Chopped coriander leaves 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves 2
- Cloves 4-6
- Green cardamoms 4
- Cinnamon 2 pieces
(½ inch wide, one inch long)
Method of preparation :
- Peel off onion, remove the skin of ginger, remove the stem of the green chilies and wash them. Roughly chop the green chilies, onion and ginger. In the blender make a fine paste of green chilies, ginger, and onion.
- Wash tomates and grind them into puree.
The ingredients of shahi kaju curry
- In a non stick wok heat 2 tsp oil /ghee. Now add cashew nuts and fry them on medium heat until pink. Keep the fried cashews aside.
- In the non stick wok heat 1 tsp oil and roast the makhane till they are crisp. Keep aside.
- In the same non stick wok heat remaining 2 tbsp oil/ghee . Add all the wholesome garam masala ingredients (bay leaves, cloves, green cardamoms, and cinnamon) in the ghee/ butter and fry on low heat for a minute.
- Now add onion paste and fry on medium heat till golden or until it leaves the sides of the pan. (takes about 8 minutes)
whole masala and onion frying
- Now add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric , kasoori methi, and garam masala powder. Mix well and fry for couple of minutes.
- Now add tomato puree and fry again until masala leaves the sides of the pan. (takes 3-5 minutes)
after adding tomato puree
- Add fresh cream, mix well. Now add 1 cup of water and salt. Boil the curry for couple of minutes.
- Now add green peas and let it cook for couple of minutes.
- Finally add fried sugar, cashew nuts and makhane. Mix well and cook for a minute.
after adding all the ingredients
- Delicious shahi kaju curry is now ready to serve. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. An optional garnishing is with raisins - for a different Royal look!
shahi kaju curry is ready
Serve with Rotis/poori/ butter naan or with other Indian breads.
Some Tips and Suggestions:
- I do not use garlic in my cooking but if you wish to add garlic add it first before frying the onion paste.
- Fresh Malai can also be used if you do not have fresh cream.
- Mushrooms, corn, paneer etc can also be used in this royal curry preparation.
The Hindi word Navratan means Nine Gems. This word came from the royal courts, where emperors used to appoint nine courtiers. This delicious mildly spiced, slightly sweet, creamy delicacy has nine things in the curry. I have used paneer, makhane, pineapple, cashews, raisins, along with the vegetables to....
Banarsi Dum Aloo
Banarsi Dum Aloo is a Vaishnav (without onion and garlic) delicacy from Banaras city. This is a rich preparation made with whole and ground spices, tomatoes, cashews and fresh cream. Traditionally the potatoes are deep fried and then cooked with curry on very low heat (dum). If you don’t want to deep fry potatoes...