Sem Matar Aloo
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Sem is also known as Indian beans, surti papdi, valor papdi or Lima beans in English. These annual beans are from the Fabaceae family like green beans/French beans and peas. Sem is rich in dietary fibers, vitamin A, C and K. It is also rich in minerals and is considered as a medicinal plant. There are a variety of dishes made with Sem. Here I am presenting a very delicious and healthy dry vegetable preparation from North India. In North India, sem is a winter crop and is usually available in the market from November to February, however in North America sem is available in Indian stores all around the year. I have also added green peas and potatoes in this vegetable as this trio combo is very popular in UP, India. Sem matar aloo goes very well with all sorts of Indian breads and also with dal-rice. Please try this delicious dry vegetable preparation and do share your valuable thoughts. Happy cooking, Shuchi
Approximately 125 calories in each serving
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Sem/Sruti papdi/Indian flat beans about ½ pound/250 gms
- Potatoes 1-2 medium
- Green peas ½ cup
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Asafoetida 2 pinches
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Coriander powder 1½ tsp
- Salt 1½ tsp or to taste
- Dry mango powder (Amchoor powder) ½ tsp
- Garam masala ¼ tsp
Method of preparation:
- Sem in an Indian beans which are fatter and flatter then green beans or french beans. Following picture shows sem or surti papdi.
Sem/ Sruti Papdi/ Indian green beans
- Remove the pointed sides and strings of the sem. Wash the sem thoroughly and pat dry on the kitchen towel. Now cut the sem into quater inch small pieces.
Sem cut into small pieces
- Peel, wash, and cut the poatoes into half inch pieces .
- In a wok, heat oil on medium heat. Add cumin seeds . When seeds change the color add asafoetida. Reduce the heat and fry for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, cut sem and potatoes. Mix well and fry for a couple of minutes. Add salt, red chili powder, and coriander powder. Mix well. Fry for another minute.
- Cover the lid and cook the vegetables on low heat until veggies are about half way cooked.
Sem aloo cooking
- Add green peas and cook until sem, peas and potatoes are tender (Takes about 5 minutes).
Sem aloo after adding green peas
- Add dry mango powder (amchoor powder) and a little bit of garam masala. Fry the vegetables for a couple of minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Delicious and nutritious sem matar aloo is ready to serve. Serve with Roti or Plain Paratha. Sem matar aloo goes very well with Dal and chawal (lentils and rice) also.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- Choose flat and tender sem. These are ideal for cooking as they taste better and get cooked sooner.
- Green vegetables taste better and look better when green color is maintained after the cooking so make sure not to overcook the sem matar alsoo.
- In case if you like spicy food, add in a couple of chopped green chilies in this vegetable preparation.
- I usually get only frozen green peas which are tender, that is why I have added peas when sem and aloo were half way done. In case you are using fresh green peas, add them with sem and aloo.
Some other Dry Vegetables
Bhindi is also known as okra or lady-fingers. Bhindi is a good source of vitamin A, C, K, and B6. They are also rich in calcium, magnesium and dietary fibers. There are so many delicacies you can make with bhindi. Bhindi is easily available around the world. Outside India, you can find bhindi in Indian stores/ Asian stores, and also in super market....
Kale cooked Indian Style
Kale is one of the healthiest green leafy vegetables. It is also often known as a super-food. Kale is very rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin K1, and fiber. It also has a lot of essential minerals. Kale belongs to the family Brassicaceae (old name Cruciferae). Some other common vegetables of this family are mustard, radish etc...
Gajar Methi Ki Sabji
Methi (fenugreek) leaves are mildly bitter in taste but have significant medicinal values. Carrots (gajar) are rich in Vitamin A, and Vitamin C. Gajar and Methi ki sabji (cooked carrot and methi) is a very easy to make veggie preparation that tastes awesome and is highly nutritious....
Kundroo or Kundru is a tropical vegetable, that grows in abundance in India. Kundroo is also known as tindora, little gourd, and its botanical name is Coccinia grandis. Kundru is rich in beta-Carotene. Read more about Kundru in Wikipedia. In America, kundru can be easily found in Indian/Asian store...