इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Samosas are one of the most popular deep-fried Indian snacks known all over the world. These are triangular shaped patties stuffed with spicy potatoes. The popularity of samosa has crossed the borders. During my stay in France I saw even beef samosas, spinach filled samosas, chocolate samosa etc.
Samosa can be served with green chutney and and tamarind chutney. It takes time and some skills to make samosa, if you have a little patience you can do it. Try out this delicious North Indian chaat and please do not forget to share your valuable comments. Happy cooking, Shuchi
Ingredients for samosa wrapper(makes 16 samose)
- Refined flour (maida) 1½ cup
- Salt ¼ tsp
- Carom seeds ( ajwain) ½ tsp
- Pure ghee/oil 5 tbsp
- Water about 1/4 cups to make dough
Ingredients For stuffing
- Potatoes 7-8 medium boiled and mashed
- Boiled peas ¾ cups (optional)
- Green chilies 2-4
- Ginger 1 ½ inch
- Garam masala 1½ tsp
- Ground coriander 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Red chili powder to taste
- Dry mango powder 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cashew nuts 12-15, cut to half
- Coriander leaves 2-3 tbsp finely chopped
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Oil for deep frying
- Flour and water paste for sealing edges of samosas (take 1 tbsp flour and 2-3 tbsps of water, mix well)
Method of preparation
- Wash, peel off and finely chop the ginger. Wash and remove the stem and finely chop the green chilies.
- Cut the cashew nuts into quarters.
- In a wok, heat oil and add cumin seeds. When the seeds splutter, add ginger, and green chilies. Fry for a few seconds.
- Now add cashews and fry for about 15-20 seconds.
- Now add all the spices except salt and fry for 10 seconds.
- Add mashed potatoes and green peas, mix well. Now mix in salt.
- Fry the potatoes on low heat for about 10-15 minutes. Add chopped coriander leaves. Set aside.
Aloo masala for samosa
- For the covering of the samosa mix the flour, hot ghee or oil, salt and carom seeds.
- Add a little water at a time and knead a stiff dough. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and set aside for about 15-20 minutes.
all purpose flour for wrapper
stiff dough for samosa wrapper
- Divide the dough into 8 round portions.
- Roll it into a not too thin perfect round of about 5 inches. Cut the circle into 2 semi circles.
different stages of wrapper
pasting of straight edge to make a cone
- Take one of the half circles. Dip your index finger into the water & flour paste and apply it to the straight edge of the semi circle. Now hold the semicircle in your hand. Fold the straight edge, and then bring the watered edges together. Seal the watered edges. You should now have a small triangular cone like pocket.
cone is ready for filling -1
cone is ready for filling -2
- Stuff it with the potato mixture and now seal the upper edges with the help of water & flour paste. If you want couple of pleats can be made on the top sealed side as shown below.
stuffing filled in the cone
sealed and pleated top edge
- Repeat for the rest of the dough.
samosas are ready for deep frying
- Heat oil in a wok on low heat. Now pour samosas in oil gently. After about 5-7 minutes change the sides of the samosas.
samosas after pouring into the warm oil
samosas just after7-8 minutes
- Fry samosa till they get dark pink. It takes about 30-40 minutes to fry each round of samosas .
samosas after about 20 minutes
samosas after about 30 minutes
Serve hot with coriander chutney and tamarind chutney.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
Samosa making is a little time taking, so please be patient with the deep frying of samosas - it takes time.
Cashew nuts enhance the taste of potato filling for the samosa. If you are allergic to nuts, you can avoid them. The samosas will be delicious in taste even without them !
Keep all the dough balls, rolled balls, and potato filled samosas covered with damp cloth till you are ready to fry them.
Some Other Snacks and Starters Recipes
Some Other Chaat Items
Some Other Delicious Chatpati Chaat Items