हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Makhane ki Kheer
Makhane/Makhana / phool makhana are known as puffed Euryale ferox or foxnut in English. Makhana belongs to water lily family and is an edible seed. Makhane are rich in protein and carbohydrate and have significant medicinal values. Makhana are usually eaten in fast and various delicacies are made with makhane. Here we are making Makhane ki kheer, it is a delicious dessert and simple to make. Try this kheer preparation and please do share your comments. Happy coking, Shuchi
Ingredients ( serves 4)
- 1½ cup makhane (puffed Euryale ferox)
- A few drops of ghee, to grease the bottom of the pan
- 4 cups/1 liter milk
- ¼ cup almonds
- 4 green cardamoms
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. raisins
Method of preparation:
- Cut makhane into small pieces. You can coarsely grind the makhane in the grinder also. Make sure to grind makhane into chunks. We do not want powdered makhane.
- Coarsely grind the almonds in a grinder. I have used almonds with the skin.
- Peel the skin of green cardamoms. and grind the seeds in the mortar with pestle. keep aside. Note- Use cardamom skin in the masala tea.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat a few drops of ghee. Add makhane chunks and roastr it for a couple of minutes. Add milk. Mix well. Take a boil, after the first boil reduce the heat and cook makhane in the milk until they are soft and blended in the milk. It takes about 15 minutes to cook the makhane.
- Add coarsely ground Aamonds. Mix well and cook for a few minutes.
- Add sugar, mix well, and cook for another minute. Turn off the heat. Add ground cardamoms and raisins. Mix well.
- Delicious Makhane ki Kheer is ready. You can serve it warm or chilled. I like to serve cold kheer.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- I remember my grandmother used to pick the hard and flattened makhane for kheer. They take longer to cook in the milk and taste better also. I use the normal puffed ones and roughly grind them into thick pieces. You can do whaterver is convenient for you.
- I have used 2% organic milk to make this kheer. As usually in the USA the milk is very thick in consistency.
- You can aslo use some other nuts as per your taste.