हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Rava Kesari- Rava is a Hindi word for semolina and Kesari is for saffron color. This is a sweet porridge (halwa) preparation made with semolina and saffron. Rava kesari tastes different than North Indian sooji ka halwa. There are different recipes of making semolina halwa in different regions of India. My Gujarati friends make semolina halwa in milk, in North India semolina is roasted until golden brown, while rava kesari is saffron colored ….This is an awesome sweet. I have cut the amount of ghee in this preparation but still it tastes outstanding…try it and please do share your thoughts.
- Semolina ½ cup
- Cashew nuts ¼
- Sugar about ½ cup
- Water 1¼ cups
- Green cardamoms 4
- Milk 2 tbsps
- Saffron (Amazon link for Organic Saffron) threads 12-14/ ¼ tsp
- Ghee about 3 tbsp or to taste
Method of preparation:
- Remove the skin of the green cardamoms and grind the seeds in the mortar.
- Soak saffron threads in 2 tablespoon lukewarm milk. keep aside.
- In a wok heat about 2 tbsp ghee. Roast semolina on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. A
- dd cashews and roast for roast semolina and cashews for a couple of minutes until aromatic. At this point semolina should look pink. It should not be extra roasted like sooji ka halwa. Keep roasted semolina aside.
- In the Wok boil the water with sugar.
- Add semolina and cashew nuts in the sugar syrup. Mix well. Reduce the heat and cook until semolina is done. Takes about 4 minutes.
- Add remaning 1 tbsp ghee and saffron milk in the cooked semolina. Mix well and cook for a few seconds.
- Add ground cardamoms.
- Delicious Rava Kesari is ready to serve. Rava Kesari taste good when it is served hot.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- In traditional Indian halwa making recipes the amount of semolina and ghee is usually equal. I have cut it to quarter in this recipe but feel free to add more ghee as per taste.
- I have soaked saffron in milk but you can also soak it in water if you have any dietary restrictions.
- You can also add a couple of drops of yellow food color to this preparation.
- I have used organic light brown sugar in this preparation.