Samo Rice Kheer
(Rice pudding for fast)
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Sama/ Samo rice is one of the food eaten during the fasting days in India. These rice grains are smaller in comparison to any other rice grain, and look somewhere between semolina and daliya (broken wheat), or may be couscous... Please note that different families have different traditions for fasting days - For example, my mother-in-law eats this rice during fasting days, while my mom does not! So before making this rice preparation during fasting days, check back with your elders !!…..Let's make samo rice kheer. This is a quick and easy to make dessert for fasts..... As always please keep writing your comments..
- Samo rice ¼ cups
- Ghee 1tsp
- Milk 3 cups
- Sugar 3-4 tbsp
- Pistachio 1 tbsp
- Almonds 3 tbsp
- Green cardamom 4
Method of preparation
- Clean and wash the sama/samo rice. Soak them in the water for 5 minutes. Remove the water and leave the samo rice on the strainer.
small grains of samo rice
- Blance, and thinly slice the pistachio, and almonds.
- Remove the green skin of the cardamoms and grind the seeds in he mortar.
- In a pan/wok heat the ghee. Now fry rice for a minute in the ghee on medium heat.
- Add milk in the rice and boil it on medium heat. After the first boil reduce the heat and cook until rice is completely cooked. It takes about 10 minutes to cook the rice. Keep stirring the mixture.
Rice pudding for fast
- Now add sliced almonds, and sugar. Mix well and cook for couple of minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Samo rice kheer is ready. Let it cool.
- Garnish with ground cardamoms and slivered pistachio and serve.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
You can also add some saffron threads in this delicious kheer preparation.
Samo rice can be easily found in the Indian grocery stores.
Some other Fast( vrat/ upwas) recipes