हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Garden Vegetable Lasagna
Lasagne, often spelled as lasagna in USA, is a variety of pasta. This long flat pasta is usually stuffed with different fillings, topped with sauce and a layer of cheese, and baked. For this recipe I have used wheat and semolina lasagna. I have layered the lasagna with assorted vegetables in white sauce, topped it with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese, and baked it in the oven. This delicious Italian delicacy can be served as main course. Enjoy this rich Italian lasagna and please do not forget to share your feedback….
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
For Veggies in White sauce
- Carrot cut cut into about half inch squares, 1 cup
- French beans, cut into half inch pieces, 1 cup
- Cauliflower cut into small florets, 1 cup
- 2-4 Mushrooms, cut into inch pieces
- Paneer cut into about half inch squares, 1 cup
- Corn kernels, ¼ cup
- Green peas, ¼ cup
- Cashews 8-10
- Unsalted butter 2 tbsp
- All purpose flour 2 tbsp
- Milk 2 cups ( I have used 2% milk), Lukewarm
- Salt ¾ tsp
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garam masala ¼ tsp (optional)
- Lasagna 6 sheets/ 150 gms
- Marinara Sauce 1 cup- You can either use store bought marinara sauce or it can be made at home as well. To make Marinara sauce at hope please click here!
- Mozzarella cheese, grated ¾ cup
Method of preparation for veggies in white sauce:
- Parboil the cauliflower florets, carrots, and French beans pieces. Drain and keep aside.
- In a non stick wok/ skillet heat a little (¼ tsp) butter. Sauté mushrooms on medium heat for about a minute. Take out the mushrooms and keep aside.
- In the same wok/skillet again heat a little (¼ tsp) butter. Sauté paneer, and cashews for about a minute or until paneer gets light pink color. Keep paneer and cashews aside.
- In the same wok melt two tbsp butter on medium heat. Add all purpose flour and fry for about a minute or until you feel the aroma but the color of mixture does not change.
- Add lukewarm milk little by little and continuously stir the mixture. The sauce shouldn't get lumps. Pour all the milk by adding a little at a time.
- Boil the sauce for another minute. White sauce is ready.
- Add parboiled veggies, corn kernels, green peas, cashews, sautéed mushrooms, and paneer in the white sauce. Add salt, and freshly ground black pepper as per taste. I like to add a hint of garam masala. Mix well. Cook for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Note - Please see Baked Veg page for the detailed description and photos of the veggie in white sauce.
Method of preparation for Lasagna:
- Boil Water in a big pot/sauce pan. Add salt. Drop lasagna in the boiling water. Boil until lasagna is almost done. Do not overcook. Drain and keep aside. For the best results follow the instructions indicated on the packet.
- Pre heat oven to 365° F.
- Grease a 12 inch baking dish.
- Arrange 2 sheets of lasagna. Evenly spread a layer of veggies in the white sauce.
- Cover with 2 lasagna sheets. Repeat with a layer of veggies in white sauce. Cover with last two sheets of lasagna.
- Spread an even layer of Marinara sauce on top of lasagna.
- Spread grated mozzerella cheese evenly on top of marinara sauce. You can also spread a fine layer of bread crumbs .
- Place the dish in the oven. Bake until the the top is nicely browned. It takes about 30-40 minutes to bake Lasagna.
- Cut the baked lasagna into desired size and serve.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- I have used store bought organic marinara sauce, but it can be easily made at home.
- You can put more layers of lasagna by following the same method.
- Boil the water first, add salt and then drop lasagne sheets in the boiling water.