इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Pad Thai is a very popular stir-fried rice noodles dish from Thai cuisine. While this dish is generally made with a combination of meat, vegetables, and eggs, here we are making vegan Pad Thai with rice noodles, vegetables, homemade Pad Thai sauce, and herbs. Pad Thai is a delicious preparation and you can make it even healthier by adding more colorful vegetables. The level of spices can also be increased or decreased as per taste. Pad Thai is usually served with roasted peanuts and lemon wedges.
A most aromatic ingredient in this recipe is Thai basil. One can find Thai basil in the Asian stores easily. You can also check in the international section of regular grocery stores. I have used homegrown Thai basil which is very fresh aromatic. We grow Thai basin in kitchen garden in summers and freeze it for later use. In case if you don’t find fresh Thai basil, use dried one. So, try out this delicious Thai delicacy and please do share your comments. Happy cooking, Shuchi
200 calories in each serving
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Rice Noodles (linguini style) 6 oz/ 175 grams
- Thai Basil handful
- Onion 1 medium
- Spring (green) onions 1-2
- Broccoli florets 1 cup
- carrots 1 medium, cut into thic slices
- Bell pepper cut into pieces ½ cup
- Celery sticks 2-3, cut diagonally into 2 inch pieces
- Chopped coriander leaves 2 tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp or to taste
- Whole thai red chili 1 (can be replaced with Indian red chili)
- Oil 2-3 tbsp
Ingredients For Pad Thai Sauce:
- Tamarind paste 1 tbsp
- Red chili crushed 1 tsp
- Red chili powder to taste
- Brown Sugar 1 tbsp
- Soya sauce 1 tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
Ingredients to serve Pad Thai:
Method of preparation:
- Cook the rice noodles as suggested on the noodle packet. Do not overcook the noodles, noodles should be soft but firm. Leave on the strainer to remove extra water.
- Peel, wash, and cut the onion into quarter inch stripes. Wash, remove the roots, and diagonaly cut the spring onions in one and half inch long pieces.
- Scrape the outer skin, wash, and cut the carrots in about two inches long and half inch wide thin slices.
Method of preparation for Pad Thai Sauce:
- In a bowl take brown sugar, tamarind paste, soya sauce, red chili powder, and red chili flakes and salt. Mix well all the ingredients. You can 1 tbsp water to mix the sause well. Keep aside.
Tamarind paste, brown sugar, soya sauce and red chili for sauce
To Make Pad Thai:
- Heat oil in a wok on high heat. Add yellow onions, and green onions, thai basil and whole red chili. Fry them for a minute. Add broccoli florets, stir fry for a minute. Add carrots and stir for a minute. Now add rest of the vegetables, and fry for another minute.
pad thai veggie cooking
- Add rice noodles to the stir fried vegetables. Mix well. Add Pad Thai sauce and salt and stir well for a couple of minutes on high heat. Make sure that noodles and vegetables are well coated with the suace.
- Add chopped coriander leaves. Taste and adjust the seasoning as per taste. Turn off the heat.
- Yummy Pad Thai is ready to serve. Garnish with crushed peanuts and lemon wedges and serve hot.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- You can use some other vegetables like cabbage, bok choy, bamboo shoots, water chest nuts, baby corns etc as per taste.
- The amout of suace and spice can be increased or reduced as per taste.
- Thai Basil– is a perennial herb used in Thai cuisine. Thai basil is closer to Tulsi/Indian basil in looks and apperance but it is different in taste. You can also grow Thai basil in a pot or the kitchen garden.
Suggestions For Lunch boxes:
Pad Thai is a good option for kid's lunch box as well as adults' lunch. It is filled with colorful veggeies and is healthy and delicious option for everyone. You can also pack some fruits and a small piece of dessert as per your kids preference.