Matar ki Ghugni
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Matar ki ghugni is made with fresh green peas. It’s a winter delicacy and is made with fresh green peas when the peas are in abundance in markets. Matar ki ghugni is my mother’s recipe. She used to make it very often in winters when bazaar is filled with fresh green pea pods. Ginger is a key ingredient for this recipe as it helps in the digestion of peas. Pea is a good source of protein. This is a vegan dish that can be enjoyed by everyone. In the western world, I haven’t seen fresh pea pods, so I have to use frozen peas. Try out this delicious delicacy from UP and please do share your comments. Happy cooking, Shuchi
Approximately 130 calories in each serving
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Green Peas 2½ cups
- Potato 1 medium
- Green chili 2-3
- Ginger 2 inch piece
- Cumin seeds 1½ tsp
- Asafoetida 2 pinches
- Salt 1¼ tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil 1½ tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves 2-3 tbsp
Method of preparation
- The fresh green peas would be ideal for this recipe. We live in America and we don't get fresh peas here, so I have used frozen peas. Following picture was taken in Indian in 2017 winters. Wash the green peas and leave on the strainer to remove the extra water.
- Peel, wash and finely chop the potatoes. Wash again and leave on the strainer to remove the extra water.
- Remove the stem, wash, and finely chop the green chilies. Peel, wash and finely chop the ginger.
- In a wok heat oil. Add cumin seeds. When seeds crackle, add asafoetida, chopped green chilies, and ginger. Mix well and fry for a few seconds.
- Now add green peas and chopped potatoes and mix well. Fry peas and potatoes for 2 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, and salt. Mix well. Now cover the lid and cook until peas and potatoes are tender. It takes about 8-10 minutes to cook the peas.
- Now add garam masala. Mix well and fry for a couple of minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add lemon juice and chopped coriander.
- Delicious ghugni is ready to serve. Serve it in the morning for breakfast, in between the meals as a snack or with the meals.
Some Tips and Suggestions
- We live in America and we don't get fresh peas here, so I have used frozen peas but fresh green peas would be ideal for this recipe.
- Potato is optional in this recipe. Feel free to remove potatoes to make it diabetic friendly recipe.
- Amount of chilies can be increase or decrease as per taste.