Masoor ke Kebab
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Masoor dal is commonly known as Brown lentils in the USA. Masoor dal is brown from outside and the grain is red from inside. There are a variety of masoor dal, like green masoor also called as Le lentile vert, black golden, whole grain and split red masoor etc. The word kebab has come from Mughal period in India. Traditionally Kebab is associated with meat preparations - but this is a vegetarian version of Kebab. This dish is rich in protein, fibers and vitamin B1. This is a low-fat, easy to make starter/appetizer. I have made this many times for the parties and have always had rave reviews. Masoor dal kebabs are also good for kid’s lunch box. Please try this recipe and don’t forget to share your comments. Happy cooking, Shuchi
Approximately 45 calories in each kebab
- Masoor daal / Brown lentils 1 cup
- Boiled potatoes 1 medium
- Onion 1 medium- finely chopped
- Grated ginger 2 tsp
- Chopped green chilies 1-2
- Chopped coriander leaves 2 tbsp
- Salt 1½ tsp or to taste
- Red chili powder ¼ tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Chaat masala ½ tsp
- Oil 2 tsp+ for cooking
Method of preparation
- Clean, wash and soak masoor daal for ½ hour in 1½ cup water. Boil masoor dal with 1 tea spoon salt until they get tender ( we do not want soggy dal so make sure that amount of water is perfect).
- Let boiled masoor cool down, then mash the lentils thoroughly .
- Peel and mash the boiled potatoe thoroughly.
- Heat a pan, add 2 tsp oil. Add chopped onions and fry for a couple of minutes. Add grated ginger and green chilies. Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add mashed masoor dal, mashed potatoes, half tsp salt, red chili powder, garam masala, and chaat masala. Mix everything well. Cook for a couple of minutes so the extra moisture evaporates.
- Add chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning. Turn off the heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool a bit.
- Divide the mixture into 16 portions and make oval/ round shape kebab.
- Heat a griddle/ skillet . Sprinkle a little oil, cook the kebab from both the sides till the kebabs are golden brown.
- Serve hot Masoor ke Kebabs with coriander chutney .
Serving Suggesstions :
- Serve masoor ke kebab with buns. It taste very good.
Some Tips/ Suggesstions :
- Increase or decrease the amount of green chilies as per taste.
- You can also add mashed paneer in this kebab preparation.
- You can also make lobiya ke kebab or rajma (kidney beans) ke kebab by same method.
- If you are Vaishnav make these kebabs without onions.
Some other snacks and starters recipe