kanji ke Vade
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Kanji ke vade is a very traditional dish made in UP and Rajasthan. Kanji is considered as one of the healthiest drinks. Kanji ke vade is especially prepared for HOLI festival. Kanji comprises mustard seeds powder, along with salt, turmeric powder, and red chili dissolved in the water. Moong dal vadas are soaked in this tangy water. When this water becomes sour (it takes 2-4 days), the dish is known as Kanji. Vegetables such as carrots, boiled potatoes, radish, etc. can also be soaked in Kanji. Try this traditional Holi dish. Happy Holi, Shuchi
Ingredients (makes 20-22)
To make vadas:
- Moong dal ¾ cup
- Oil to deep fry
To soak the vadas:
To make kanji:
- Red chilli powder ½ tbsp
- Mustard powder 2½ tbsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tbsp
- Salt 1½ tbsp
- Asafoetida ¼ tsp
- Water 8 cups / 2 lt
Method of preparation
- Clean and wash the lentil (moong dal). Soak the lentils in 3 cups of water for about 4 hours.
- Grind the lentils in the grinder with a little water.
soaked moong dal
lentil paste after grinding
- Whisk the batter thoroughly till it becomes light.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium heat. Pour about 1 table spoon of lentil batter in the oil at a time, to make vadas. Deep fry the vadas on medium heat till they become golden pink. (takes about 7-8 mins).
vadas just after pouring in the oil
vadas almost done
- Take the vadas out on the kitchen paper.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- Now soak the vadas in warm water. Add 1 tea spoon salt in the water and let the vadas get soft.
vadas soaked in the saline water
vada after squeesing off the water
- Vadas will leave all the extra water in the oil and will soak the water. Take out the vadas from the water by pressing gently between your palms. Keep aside.
To make Kanji
- In a bowl take turmeric powder, mustard powder, red chili, salt, asafoetida (heeng). Add about ½ cup of water and mix all the spices well.
ingredients for kanji
- Now mix this spice paste in about 7½ cups of water. Mix well.
- Soak the squeezed vadas in this spicy mustard water. Keep the bowl in a warm place.
- It takes about 2-4 days (depending on the weather) for this spiced water to turn sour.
spice water for vadas
vadas soaked in spice water
Serve delicious and spicy kanji vadas to your guests in the beautiful afternoon of HOLI. Make sure that you make kanji vada at least 2 days before the HOLI festival.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- It depends on the weather how long the kanji will take to get sour (2-4days). Once the kanji has turned sour , keep it in the refrigerator. It can be kept in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
- If the vadas are soft they will be floating in the water all the time.
- To make soft vadas it is important to whisk the lentil paste thoroughly.
Some other chaat items