इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Rasgulla or Rosogulla is one of the most famous dessert from Eastern India, and a signature of Kolkata. Rosogulla is made with chenna, a variety of paneer/cottage cheese made out of cow's milk. An ideal Rasgulla would be absolute spongy and dissolves in the mouth. That’s the reason Rasulla is also known as white sponge.
Here I am sharing an authentic Bengali recipe of Rasgulla . This is my friend Amrita Mukherji’s recipe. I am extremely thankful to Amrita who invited me over for lunch and taught me in detail to cook Rosogulla. All the pictures shown below were taken at Amrita’s kitchen. Amrita made the dish absolute way. Try this delicious Rosogulla recipe this Diwali season and please do share your valuable comments. Shuchi.
Approximately 75 calories in each rasgulla
Ingredients (makes about 25 rasgulla)
- Full cream cow's milk ½ gallon/ about 2 lts
- Buttermilk 2 cups/ vinegar 6 tbsp
- Sugar 2 cups
- Water 6 cups
- Rose water 1 tbsp
- Cheese cloth or muslin cloth
Method of preparation:
- Boil milk in a pan. After the first boil reduce the heat and add buttermilk. Stir well.
After adding buttermilk to the milk
- The milk will start spliting. Now you will see that milk has curdled and there is greenish whey. Stir and turn off the heat. add 1 cup cold water. Stir.
- Set the muslin on the sieve, pour the curdled milk onto the clean muslin cloth (soup sieve with small holes can be used directly in case if you do not have muslin cloth). Now press the chenna to remove the whey. Keep aside for 1 hour to remove the extra water/whey.
- Chenna is ready to use.
Chenna after removing extra water
- In a sauce pan boil 2 cups of sugar in 6 cups of water. We need thin sugar syrup for this recipe so we just need a boil in the syrup. Add rose water after the first boil.
- While sugar syrup is boiling, rub the chenna in between your palms or with fingers thoroughly. We need absolutely smooth chenna. This rubbing process takes about 7-8 minutes, depending on the quality of chenna. You can do this process in food processor also.
- Divide this chenna into 25 portions. Make small round balls. Make sure that balls are absolutely smooth and they do not have any cracks. They may split in the sugar syrup if they have and cracks.
- After the first boil of sugar syrup pour all the chenna balls slowly in the boiling sugar syrup. Cover the lid and cook the chenna balls in the sugar syrup for about 7 minutes on high heat.
- Chenna balls will absorb the syrup and will almost be double in size after about 7 minutes of cooking
after 7 mins of adding chenna balls added in the sugar syrup
- Reduce the heat and cook the chenna balls for another 5-7 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- All time favorite Rosogulla is ready to serve. You can add a little more rose water at this point to make rasgulla aromatic.
- You can serve mouth desolving rasgulla hot or cold as per taste.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- You can use store bought buttermilk or can make it at home. For homemade buttermilk,add water in yogurt and mix it well. For this recipe youy can add 1 cup water in one cup thick yogurt .
- I have used butter milk in this recipe to make chenna but you can also use dostilled vinegar instead of buttermilk to make chenna.
- For Rasgulla we need a thin sugar syrup. To make this sugar syrup the amount of sugar and water should be 1:3 .