Mangaudi Ki Kadhi
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Today I am sharing with you my childhood favorite mangaudi ki Kadhi's recipe. This is a traditional Rajasthani /Marwadi vaishnav delicacy, very popular in North India. Mangaudis
are small sun dried dumplings made with moong dal paste. For this delicacy mangaudi and potatoes are cooked in yogurt (curds) curry. Please try this kadhi and do not forget to share your valuable comments.....
- Mangaudi ¾ cup
- Potato 1 medium
- Cunin ½ tsp
- Salt ½ tsp
- Ghee/ oil 2 tsp
For jhol (gravy):
- Besan( gram flour) ¼ cup
- Sour Yogurt 1 cup
- Salt 1¼ tsp/ to taste
- Cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds ¼ tsp
- Asafoetids 2 pinches
- Whole red chili 1
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Water 2½ cups
- Chopped coriander leaves 1 tbsp
- Ghee /oil 2 tsp
Method of preparation
- Peel, wash and cut the potato into one inch pieces. Wash them again.
- In a pressure cooker heat about 2 tsp ghe/oil. Add cumin seeds and fry for few seconds. Add mangaudis and fry mangaudi on medium heat until golden brown. It takes about 2 minutes to fry mangaudis. Add potato pieces and ½ tsp salt. Mix well. Add about 1 cup water and take a whistle on medium heat. turn off the heat.
- Mangaudi should be tender and cooked. In case if they are hard please cook a little more.
Cooked mangaudi and potato
- Sieve the gram flour (besan) thoroughly. Add water little by little and mix well. (add about 2½ cups of water). Besan batter is ready.
- Beat the sour curds (yogurt) well. Mix in the besan batter.
besan and sour yogurt mixture
- In a wok heat ghee/oil on medium heat, add in cumin seeds, and fenugreek seeds. When seeds change the color, add in asafetida, and whole red chili, fry for 7-8 seconds. Add turmeric powder. Now add gram flour and sour yogurt mixture. Mix well and add red chili powder and salt. Mix well and keep stirring until the first boil comes.(takes about 5 minutes)
- If the kadhi's consistency is too thick, add some water.
- Add cooked mangaudi and aloo(potato) . Mix well and cook the kadhi for 7-8 minutes.
Delicious mangaudi ki kadhi is ready. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot kadhi with roti and rice.
My mother adds green peas in this prepartion too. I cook/ tamper kadhi in ghee.
You can use whole mangaudis or they can also be broken in pieces. Fry mangaudis on medium to low heat. Sometimes readymade mangaudis are very hard - in that case I would like to suggest you to pressure cook the mangaudi separately before adding it to rice.
You can also make additional tempering- for that heat 2 tsp ghee, add chopped green chilies and, red chili powder and pour it onto the hot kadhi.
Sme other lentil preparations