इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Khichdi is a dish traditionally made with dal and rice. The word khichdi means the mix of a couple or many things. It is a very light meal, easy to digest and very nutritious. Khichdi is considered as very auspicious in Indian culture. There are so many different recipes to make khichdi.
In Bengal, khichdi id made for Durga Puja, and Saraswati Puja. In Gujarat khichdi is made with toor dal, in Southern states of India Pongal is made. In North, India khichdi is specially made for Makar Sankranti festival. Here we are going to make UP style khichdi with split skin moong dal and rice. This khichdi is a balanced combination of protein and carbohydrate. The Khichdi is always topped with pure ghee at the time serving. Happy & healthy cooking, Shuchi
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Green mung dal split ¾ cup
- Rice ½ cup
- Salt 1½ tsp
- Turmeric ¾ tsp
- Water 3½ - 4 cups
Ingredients For seasoning
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1½ tsp
- Asafetida ¼ tsp
- Red chili powder ¼ tsp
Method of preparation
- Clean, wash and soak dal and rice together in 4 cups of water for 20 minutes.
- In the pressure cooker take soaked dal & rice along with the water, add salt and turmeric powder and boil until it gets tender or take a pressure. (Takes about 15 minutes)
Method of preparation For seasoning
- In small pan heat ghee, add cumin seeds when seeds crackle add asafetida and turn off the heat, now add red chili powder. Mix the seasoning (tarka ) in the boiled khichdi.
- Pour khichdi in a plate. Pour some ghee on top. Khichidi is ready to serve now.
- My father always says Khichdi tastes so good when served with its four companions –yogurt, papad, ghee, and achar!