इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Daliya, known as cracked wheat in English, is a good source of fibers. This is a delicious preparation for cracked wheat porridge. There are different savory preparations, desserts, salads etc. that are made with cracked wheat. Here we are making a delicious sweet preparation that can be served for breakfast, or as a dessert, or even as a complete light meal. Daliya is also a good choice if you are looking for something light.
Often people think that daliya is a boring, bland food. Try this recipe and your opinion will change immediately. This is my mother’s recipe- she roasts the daliya in a little desi ghee which makes the daliya very aromatic. She also adds some nuts in the daliya to make a perfect dessert. Try this delicious daliya recipe and please do share your valuable comments. Happy cooking, Shuchi
Approximately 200 calories in each serving
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Cracked wheat 1/3 cups
- Ghee 1 tsp
- Water 2 cups
- Milk 2 cups
- Sugar about ¼ cups
- Almonds /walnuts ¼ cups
- Raisins/ cranberries 1 tbsp
- Green cardamoms 4
Method of preparation
- Slice the Almonds.
- Remove the green skin of the cardamoms and grind the seeds.
- In a pan or in a pressure cooker, heat 1 tsp ghee on medium heat. Add daliya and roast on medium heat until daliya gets golden red. It takes about 2-4 minutes to roast the daliya.
daliya after roasting
- Now add water, mix well and take a boil. After the first boil reduce the heat and cook the cracked wheat until it gets tender. The easiest way is to take a whistle in the pressure cooker.
Cracked wheat with water
- When daliya is cooked it will look like the follwing pic.
- Add milk in the daliya. Also add almonds and raisins and mix well. Take a boil and let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Add sugar, mix well and cook for another minute. Turn off the heat. Add ground cardamom.
- Let the daliya cool down.
- Meetha daliya (cracked-wheat porridge) is ready to serve. It can be served in morning breakfast, or as a dessert, or even as a complete meal if you are looking for something light.
Some Tips/ suggestions:
- I like to roast daliya in a small amout of ghee. It makes the daliya very aromatic and it tastes good after cooking.
- I also add a few threads of saffron in the daliya to make it even more aromatic and tastier.
- I have cooked daliya in the water first and then I have added milk in the cooked daliya to make it tasty as well as a light meal. You can also cook daliya in the milk instead of water; if we cook daliya in the milk it takes about 25 minutes to cook. Also the daliya will absorb a lot of milk so it will be delicious, but it will not be as light and healthy as that when cooked in water first.
- Do not add cold milk to hot cracked wheat, as milk may curdle.