इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Upma is a very popular south Indian breakfast dish. Upma is made of rava/suji/semolina. Different vegetables can be added to make it more delicious as well as nutritious. It is absolutely low-fat so if you are health conscious, this is the right choice for you.
- Semolina (sooji) 1 cup
- Carrots 1 medium
- Green peas 2 tbsp
- Potato 1 medium
- Onion 1 medium
- Green chilies 1-2
- Tomato 1 medium
- Oil/ghee 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1½ tsp
- curry leaves 6-8
- Whole red chili 1
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Salt 1½ tsp or to taste
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp
- Roasted peanuts 2 tbsp for garnishing
Method of preparation
- Dry roast semolina on medium heat till it gets pink in colour ( takes around 5-7 minutes).
- Peel off potato, wash and cut into small pieces. Wash the carrot and cut like potato.
- Peel off the onion, wash and chop finely. Remove the stem of green chili, wash and chop finely.
- Wash the Tomato and cut into small pieces.
- In a nonstick pan heat oil, add mustard seeds when seeds stop crackling add whole red chili and curry leaves. fry for few seconds, now add onion and green chili and fry till translucent (takes 2-4 minutes).
- Add chopped potatoes, peas, and carrot, fry for a minute, add ½ tea spoon of salt, mix well and cook until semi tender. Add little water if needed.( takes 5-7minutes).
- Now add chopped tomatoes to the cooked veggies and fry for couple of minutes.
- Now add semolina, remaining salt, and red chili powder in the cooked veggies and mix well. Fry for a minute.
- Add 2 cups of warm water and stir gently. Cook until semolina is done . Add lemon juice and mix well.
Garnish with roasted peanuts and serve hot Upma.
If you want more flavor in your upma add 1/2 tsp of sambhar powder .
Usually the ratio of semolina and water is 1:2.
Vegetables can be changed as per taste and availability .
Upma with hint of sambhar powder
Suggestions For Kid's Lunch box:
Upma is an ideal Lunch box meal for kids as well as adults. Different vegetables can be added to make it more delicious as well as nutritious. It is absolutely low-fat so if you are health conscious, this is the right choice for you. I have added some cashew nuts in upma to make it yummier for kids. With Upma there is an apple, some dry roasted peanuts, and a piece of sesame bars!
Some other Kid's Lunch box ideas
Some Other Snacks and Starters Recipes
Some Other South Indian Recipes
Some Other Semolina/ Rava Recipes