इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Shrikhand is a traditional dessert from Western India. This dessert is made with yogurt (curd/ dahi). Yogurt is tied in a muslin cloth and hung for hours to drain off the water and the resulting creamy and thick yogurt is beaten with sugar , garnished with saffron, cardamoms, and dry fruits. I have tried to explain the recipe in differnt steps with pictures to make it easier for you. This recipe is very simple to make but takes a little time. So make this delicious dessert from Western India.......
- Plain yogurt 2 cups
- Sugar ¼ cups
- Milk 1 tbsp
- Pistachios and almonds 1 tbsp
- Green cardamoms 2
- Saffron (Amazon link for Organic Saffron) threads 12-14
- Muslin cloth / cheese cloth
Method of preparation
- Soak saffron threads in one tablespoon lukewarm milk. keep aside.
- Remove the skin of the green cardamoms and grind the seeds in the mortar.
- Thinly slice the pistachios and almonds.
- Set the yogurt at the center of the muslin cloth. Now tie up the cloth well so the yogurt does not come out of the cloth.
- Now hang the yogurt for about 2-3 hours in a cold place. We need to remove the extra water from the yogurt.
Yogurt(curd/ dahi) tied in a cheese cloth and hung
- From two cups of yogurt, about ¾ cups of water came out when I hung the yogurt for 3 hours.
The water is dripping from the tied yogurt wok saffron soaked in warm milk
- Keep the creamy yogurt in the refrigerator for about 1/2 an hour to set.
- Now add in sugar and whisk the yogurt well. You can also use hand blender if you want to, though I did it in traditional way. Takes about 3-4 minutes to whisk thoroughly.
yogurt after 6 hours of hanging after adding sugar in creamy thick yogurt
- Now add saffron milk in the whisked yogurt an mix well .
- Transfer the shrikhand in the serving dish and keep in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour depending on the weather. Let it set perfectly.
- Garnish with sliced almonds and pistachio. Sprinkle grounded cardamoms.
Traditional Shrikhand is ready to serve.
Use fine sugar for this recipe. the amount of sugar can be increased as per taste.
Some people do not like cardamoms in Shrikhand, in that case just remove the cardamoms from the recipe.
Garnished Shrikhand is ready to serve
Some Other Dessert recipes