इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Pooran Poli is a West Indian Specialty. This is a sweet, lentil stuffed bread. Like any other Indian dish there are many ways to make this delicious bread. I have used gram lentils to make pooran Poli. One of my Marathi friends used to make pan fried pooran poli’s (stuffed paratha style). So you have an option to cook it your way….
(makes about 14 pooran polis)
- Wheat flour 2 cups
- Ghee/ oil 2 tbsp
- Water to make dough, less than 1 cup
- Flour to roll 2 tbsp in a plate
- Ghee to top, about 1 tbsp
Method of preparation
- Clean, wash, and soak the gram (chana dal ) in enough water for 20 minutes.
Now boil the lentils in a little water till they get tender. Or take two whistles in the pressure cooker on medium heat.
- When lentils are boiled, strain the extra water out. This water can be kept in the refrigerator for other uses - such as for making dal or for making the dough.
- Soak saffron threads in one table spoon of lukewarm milk. Keep aside.
- Remove the green skin of the cardamoms and ground the seeds.
ingredients for filling -pooran poli
- Heat ghee in a non-stick wok/ skillet on medium heat, put in boiled lentils and sugar. Mix well and keep stiring and mashing the lentils.
- It takes about 7-8 minutes to fry the lentils with sugar. We need completely dry filling. When lentils are dried, the mixture will leave the sides of the skillet/ wok.
- Now add saffron milk and cardamoms and fry for a few more minutes. Now turn off the heat. Filling is ready.
Gram lentil frying after adding grounded cardamoms
- Now divide the filling into 14 portions.
stuffing for pooran poli
- Take flour and ghee in a big bowl. Mix the ghee/oil well with the flour. Make a soft dough by adding a little warm water at a time. Cover the dough and leave it for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 14 portions and make small rounds of these portions.
Making of Pooran Poli
- Roll a ball with help of dry flour in about a 3 inch circle. Put one lentil ball stuffing at the center of the rolled ball.
a lentil ball kept in the middle bring the corners together to close the ball
- Now bring the sides together as shown in the following picture to close the circle. We have to remove the extra dough from the top of the ball . This will help in spreading the filling evenly.
- Now roll this ball by dusting little dry flour into about 5 inch circle.
rolled pooran poli
- Heat the griddle/ tawa on medium heat. Place the rolled circle to the griddle. Turn it over after about 20 seconds. Now cook from the other side. Stuffed sweet roti/ Pooran poli will puff up .
cooked -pooran poli
- Repeat the process with all the balls.
- The dough that we have taken out in step 2 can be mixed together to make more breads ! If the filling is already gone make plain rotis.
- Smear with ghee and serve hot Pooran poli.
While one pooran poli is cooking on the griddle you can prepare the other one. And repeat the process.
You can also make the filling in advance and keep in the refrigerator to make pooran polis later.
Nutmeg powder can also be added in the filling for extra flavor.
Some other Indian breads
Some other Desserts