Lauki Ki Lauj/Burfi
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Lauki or bottle gourd is a vegetable which is eaten in many of the families in the days of fasting. Lauki ki lauj is a dessert made with lauki and milk. This is a traditional dessert made all over India. Here I am writing my version of recipe of Lauki ki Lauj which is very yummy in taste and perfect offering to God.
- Grated Lauki(bottle gourd) 2 cup
- Milk 2 cups 500 ml
- Sugar 4 tbsp
- Green cardamoms 2
- Ghee 2 tsp
- Pistachio, slivered 2 tsp
Method of preparation
Remove the outer green cover of the cardamoms and grind them in the mortar.
Grease a small tray or back of the plate or thali.
- In a heavy bottom pan boil milk . After the first boil reduce the heat let the milk boil for minutes.
- In the other wok heat about 1 tsp ghee. Add grated lauki and fry on medium heat for 2-4 minutes.
- Add fried lauki in the boiling milk and cook until lauki absorbs the entire milk. Stir in every 2-3 minutes.The total process takes about 25 minutes.
view of grated lauki in the milk grated lauki and milk after 10 mins of boiling
- Add sugar and mix well. At this point stir continuously to avoid the burning of the mixture. Cook for another 4-5 minutes. Now turn off the heat.
after mixing the sugar in
- Now add cardamom powder. Spread out the mixture on the greased tray. Let it set for 20 minutes.
- Cut square shape pieces. There isn't any hard and fast rule for the shape and size of the lauj/burfi. Garnish with slivered pistachio.
Delicious lauki ki lauj is ready to offer to god, then to serve.
Tips/ Some Suggestions
Do not use very fine grater to avoid the complete blending of bottle gourd in the milk.
I have shown the grater in the side picture for your convenience .
You can also use fresh half and half cream ( it has half cream) instead of milk to save cooking time. For 2 cups of grated lauki you will be needin about 1 cup of half and half .
Fast( vrat/ upwas) recipes