Methi Malai Paneer
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Methi is the Hindi word for fenugreek leaves and Malai is a Hindi word for Cream. This paneer (Indian cottage cheese) preparation is a delicious creamy curry, made with onions, tomatoes and a blend of spices, specially fenugreek leaves (Methi). Methi Malai Paneer is loved by everyone and it goes well with all sorts of Indian breads.... so try out this exotic delicacy and do not forget to share your thoughts....
Paneer 250 gms
- Onion 1 big/200gms
- Green chilies 1-2
- Ginger 1½ inch piece
- Tomatos 2 small (about 125 gms)
- Fresh fenugreek leaves, finely chopped 3/4 cups
- Cashew nuts 10-12
- Coriander powder 2 ½ tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder two pinches
- Garam masala 3/4 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Butter/ ghee 2-3 tbsp
- Water 1 cups
- Fresh cream ½ cup
- Bay leaves 2
- Cloves 4-6
- Green cardamoms 4
- Cinnamon 2 pieces
(½ inch wide an inch long)
Method of preparation
- Peel off onion, remove the skin of ginger, remove the stem of the green chilies and wash them. Roughly chop the green chilies, onion and ginger . In the blender make a fine paste of green chilies, ginger, and onion.
- Wash tomates and grind them into fine paste.
- Soak cashew nuts in quater cup of warm water for 10 minutes. Make a fine paste of cashew nuts in the blender. (you can also grind dry cashew nuts)
- Cut paneer into 1 inch squares. Sauté Paneer in a non stick wok with a little butter for a minute. Keep the paneer aside.
- In a non stick wok heat butter/ghee . Add all the wholesome garam masala ingredients (bay leaves, cloves, green cardamoms, and cinnamon) in the ghee/ butter and fry on low heat for a minute.
- Now add onion paste and fry on medium heat till golden or until it leaves the sides of the pan. (takes about 8 minutes)
whole masala and onion frying
- Now add chopped methi leaves, coriander powder, red chili powder, 2 pinches of turmeric (optional), and garam masala powder. Mix well and fry for 2-3 minutes.
after adding fenugreek (methi) leaves and spices
- Now add cashew nut paste and fry for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add tomato puree and fry again until masala leaves the sides of the pan. (takes 3-5 minutes)
- Add fresh cream, mix well. Now add 1 cup of water and salt. Boil the curry for 5 minutes.
after adding cream
- Finally add sautée paneer and cook for a couple of minutes.
Methi Malai Paneer is ready
- Delicious Methi Malai Paneer is now ready to serve.
Serve with Rotis/poori/ butter naan or with other Indian breads.
You can also use kasoori methi in case if you do not find fresh methi leaves.
Fresh Malai can also be used in place of fresh cream.
Some other paneer delicacies