हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Palak Aloo Curry
Often kids don’t like to eat greens. Palak Aloo is an easy way to add more greens to your daily diet. Palak is a Hindi word for spinach. Spinach has a high nutritional value and is extremely rich in antioxidants, folic acid, and vitamins. This is an easy to make delicious and healthy green curry. This mild curry also has onions, and tomato masala but you can remove onion to make Vaishnava curry. I have used boiled and sautéed potatoes for this curry to make it light but you can deep fry potatoes to your taste. Try this Palak Aloo recipe and please do share your comments. Happy Cooking: Shuchi.
Ingredients ( serves 4)
- Spinach 400 gms/ about 1 lbs
- Boiled potatoes, medium 4
- Onion 1 medium
- Tomato 1 medium
- Ginger 1½" piece
- Green chilies 2
- Cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Bay leaf 1
- Whole red chili 1
- Salt 1 tsp or to taste
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Lemon juice 1 tsp
- Ghee/ oil 2 tbsp
Ingredients to boil the spinach
- Sugar ¼ tsp
- Salt ½ tsp
Method of preparation:
- Remove the thick stems of spinach leaves and wash spinach thoroughly.
- Remove the stem and wash green chilies.
- Peel off onion and ginger, chop them finely. Wash, and finely chop the tomato.
- Boil 1 cup water in a pan with ¼ tea spoon salt and ¼ tea spoon sugar (to maintain the green color), add spinach leaves in the hot water and boil for 2 min and then take them out, do it with all the leaves. Let the boiled leaves cool down.
- Make a coarse paste of boiled spinach leaves andngreen chilies.
- Peel boiled potatoes and cut each potato into 8 pieces.
- In the wok heat 1 tbsp ghee/oil. Add cumin seeds, when cumin changes color, add bay leaves. Fry for a few seconds. Add boiled potatoes and add a little bit of salt in potatoes. Fry potatoes for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Keep them aside.
- In the wok heat 1 tbsp ghee/oil. Add whole red chili. Fry for a few seconds. Add chopped onions. Fry onions until they are transluscent (takes about 2-3 minutes). Add ginger. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Mix well. Add salt and garam masala. Fry until masala leaves the side of the wok.
- Add coarse spinach paste. Mix well with onion tomato masala. Cook for 7-8 mins.
- Finally add fried p[otatoes, and cook for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add lemon juice as per taste.
- Delicious Palak Aloo Curry is ready. Serve Palak Aloo with roti, poori or naan or the Indian bread of your choice and plain rice.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- Do not overcook the spinach as overcooking will not only fade the color of the spinach but also affect the taste .
- Instead of boiled potatoes you can also use deep fried potates in this curry. I usually don't like to deep fry on regular basis so I use boiled potatoes/ jeera aloo for palak aloo curry.
- You can also make this curry Vaishnav. Remove onions from the recipe and follow the rest of the steps as suggested.
Some other spinach preparations-