Make your Yogurt (dahi) at Home
इस पन्ने को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
About Yogurt-Yogurt is more commonly known as curds/curd in India. In Hindi we call it दही (dahi). Yogurt is one of the best sources of calcium for vegetarians. It is also rich in protein and Vitamin B. Yogurt is made by natural bacterial fermentation of milk. In this process the lactose of milk converts into lactic acid and this makes yogurt more easily digestible than milk.
Health Benefits of Yogurt-Yogurt is an excellent source of probiotic bacteria, which supports immunity and digestive health. Yogurt has good bacteria that can be helpful to your digestive tract. Yogurt is made by natural bacterial fermentation of milk. In this process the lactose of milk converts into lactic acid and this makes yogurt more easily digestible than milk.
Making of Yogurt-Yogurt can be easily found at stores but there is nothing that beats homemade stuff. Yogurt is very easy to make at home. It should be made with live and active culture. “Live and active culture” refers to living organisms (heathy/good bacteria) such as lactobacillus, which converts milk to yogurt during fermentation.
In order to make yogurt, we need fresh milk. We can use cow milk or buffalo milk. We can use full cream milk or 2% milk. Pasteurized milk works well for yogurt making. Tetra packs (UHT) milk does not work for yogurt making.
Duration to make Yogurt- Normally it takes about 4 hours for milk to convert into yogurt. However the fermentation period is greatly affected by the weather. It is faster to make yogurt in warmer weathers.
Taste of Yogurt- Taste of yogurt depends on the culture of yogurt. If your culture is sour you will get sour yogurt. I would suggest to make a small quantity of yogurt at a time and use it within 48 hours. Make fresh batches of yogurt as needed.
How to make Dahi/Curd/Yogurt at home-
Ingredients (Makes 1 lt)
- Milk 1 lt
- Live and active culture 2 tsp
Method of preparation:
- Boil the milk. After a boil turn off the heat.
- Let the milk cool down for a while.
- In a bowl beat culture to smooth.
- When milk is still lukewarm but not hot, add in curd/ yogurt culture (jaman) in the milk. Mix the culture very well in the milk.
- Cover the bowl and keep it at a warm place for 3-4 hours or until it is completely set.
- Keep the yogurt/ curd in the refrigerator for an hour to set before serving.
- Always use a glass bowl, earther bowl, or pottery bowl for yogurt making.
- I directly boil milk in a microwave safe glass bowl.
- If you do not have homemade yogurt culture (jaman); start with the readymade/ store bought yogurt - i.e. take a little culture from organic yogurt of supermarkets. Make sure to look for live and active culture yogurt. After two or three rounds of yogurt making you will have the right culture.
- Every time you make yogurt at home do not forget to save a little bit of culture for the next use.
- Keep yogurt in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to set it.