हिन्दी में पढ़ें
7 Grain Cereal Porridge
This 7 grain cereal porridge is extremely healthy dessert which is a good source of fibers, calcium and iron. It also has protein and carbohydrate. I have used organic mixed cereals I bought from a local organic stores bulk section. . This dessert is a delicious and easy to make cereal porridge. The porridge can be served for breakfast, as a dessert, or even as a complete meal. You can also make cracked wheat/ daliya porridge by using the same method. Try out this light and healthy dish and please do share your comments. Happy cooking, Shuchi.
Ingredients ( serves 4)
- ½ cup 7 grain cereal (cracked wheat, cracked barley, cracked oats, cracked rye, cracked corn, millet, and flax seed)
- ½ tsp ghee
- 1½ cups water
- 2½ cups milk ( i have used 2% milk)
- a little more than ¼ cups sugar
- ¼ cups slivered almonds / nuts of your taste
- ¼ cups raisins/ dried berries
- 4 green cardamoms (optional)
- Saffron threads (optional)
Method of preparation:
- Remove the green skin of the cardamoms and grind the seeds.
- In a sauce pan heat ½ tsp ghee on medium heat, and roast cracked 7 grains cereal on medium heat until it is golden red and aromatic. (takes 2-3 minutes). Roasting of creals in ghee inchances the flavor of porridge.
- Add slivered almonds and roast for another 30 seconds.
- Add 1½ cups water , mix well and take a boil.
- Reduce the heat coojk oat to tender.
- Add warm milk and mix well. Take a boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar, mix well and cook for another minute. Turn off the heat. Add ground cardamoms. You can also add some saffron threads in this preaparation.
- Let the 7 grain cereal dessert cool down.
- Garnish with raisins or berries.
- 7 grain cereal porridge is ready to serve. It can be served in morning breakfast, or as a dessert, or even as a complete meal if you are looking for something light. This cereal can be served cold or hot as per taste.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- Do not add cold milk in the hot cereal, as milk may split.
- I have used a little bit of ghee to roast the cereals as it gives the nice aroma to the porridge but you can remove the ghee and dry roast it as well.
- I have also added a hint of saffron to make this porridge aromatic and tasty.
Some other related recipes