Lobiya ke Kebab/ black eyed beans Kebabs
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Lobiya is also known as black eyed beans or black eyed peas and is a good source of potassium, magnesium and calcium. It is rich in soluble fibers and is a good source of protein and vitamins. There are so many different ways lobiya can be cooked. The word kebab has come from Mughal period in India. Traditionally Kebab is associated with meat preparations - but this is a vegetarian version of Kebab. Lobiya ke kebab is a low-fat, easy to make starter/appetizer. I have made this many times for the parties and have always had rave reviews. Try this protein rich dish and please do share your comments. Happy cooking, Shuchi
- Lobiya (Black eyed beans) 1 cup
- Boiled potato 1 medium
- Onion 1 medium- finely chopped
- Grated ginger 2 tsp
- Chopped green chilies 2
- Chopped coriander leaves 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Salt 1½ tsp or to taste
- Red chili powder ¼ tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Chaat masala ½ tsp
- Oil 2 tsp+ for brushing
Method of preparation
- Clean and wash the lobiya. Soak lobiya in about 3 cups of water for at least 5 hours. You can also soak lobiya over night.
- Add 1 tea spoon salt in the soaked lobiya and boil it in the pressure cooker on medium/low heat (It takes around 10 minutes to get them tender). It takes 1 whistle on the cooker to cook the lobiya. You can also cook lobiya in slow cooker.
- Let boiled lobiya cool down. Strain the boiled lobiya to remove the extra water. You can discard this water or it can be used in soup, sabji curry or in lentil curries.
- Mash the lobiya thoroughly .
- Peel and mash the boiled potatoes thoroughly.
- Heat a pan, add 2 tsp oil. Add cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds. When cumin changes the color add onions and fry for a couple of minutes. Add grated ginger and green chilies. Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add mashed lobiya, mashed potatoes, half tsp salt, red chili powder, garam masala, and chaat masala. Mix everything well. Cook for a couple of minutes so the extra moisture evaporates.
- Add chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning. Turn off the heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool a bit.
- Divide the mixture into 16 portions and make oval shape kebab. Keep the kebab in the fridge for 20 minutes to set. It helps to shape them and kebabs don't break while cooking.
- Heat a griddle/ skillet .Sprinkle a little oil, fry the kebab from both the sides till the kebabs are golden brown.
- Serve hot Kebabs with coriander chutney .
Some Tips/ Suggesstions :
- Increase or decrease the amount of green chilies as per taste.
- You can also make rajma (kidney beans) ke kebab by same method.
- If you are Vaishnav make these kebabs without onions.
Some other snacks and starters recipe