हिन्दी में पढ़ें
(Black Eyed Beans Curry)
Lobiya is also known as black eyed beans or black eyed peas and is a good source of potassium, magnesium and calcium. It is rich in soluble fibers and is a good source of protein and vitamins. There are so many different ways lobiya can be cooked. Here I am sharing a North Indian curry preparation made with lobiya. This is a delicious lobiya recipe and it can be served with roti and rice. Try this protein rich dish and please do share your comments. Happy cooking, Shuchi
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- Lobiya (black eyed beans) 1½ cups raw
- Big/black cardamoms 2
- Salt 1½ tsp or to taste
- Bay-leaves (tej patta) 2
- Onion 1 medium
- Tomatoes 2 medium
- Ginger 1½ inch
- Green chili 2
- Oil/ ghee 2-3 tbsp
- Coriander powder 1½ tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves 2-3 tbsp
Method of preparation:
- Clean and wash the lobiya. Soak lobiya in about 3-4 cups of water over night.
- Boil the lobiya with 2 big cardamoms and 1 tea spoon salt in the pressure cooker on medium/low heat (It takes around 10-12 minutes to get them tender). It takes 1 whistle on the cooker to cook the lobiya. You can also cook lobiya in slow cooker.
- Peel, wash and roughly chop the onion. Peel and wash the ginger. Remove the stem of the green chili.
- Make a fine paste of ginger, green chili and onion in the blender.
- Wash and cut tomatoes into 4 pieces. Puree the tomatoes in the blender.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaves. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add onion paste. Fry onion paste till it becomes golden brown.
- Add tomato puree in the fried onion paste. Add salt, garam masala, coriander powder, red chili powder and half a tea-spoon of salt. Fry until aromatic and tomato puree is cooked. It takes about 5 minutes to cook the tomato puree.
- Add boiled lobiya in the fried masala. If needed, you can add a little water to get the required consistency. Cook lobiya curry for about 8-10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Taste and adjust the flavoring as per taste.
- Delicious lobiya curry is ready. Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and serve with roti and rice.
Some Tips/ Suggestions :
- I do not use garlic in my kitchen but you can grind garlic with onions if you wish to.
- I have added black cardamoms which helps in the digestion of lobiya.
- You can make onion tomato masala in advance.