Zafrani Moong Dal Burfi
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Zafraan is the Urdu word for saffron (kesar). Barfi or Burfi is a very famous Indian dessert. These are square or diamond shape semi solid desserts..There is a huge range of barfi in India. This is a quick recipe for Zafarani moongdal barfi.….. Try this exotic dish and let me know your valuable comments….
Method of preparation
- Clean and wash the moong dal. Soak the lentils in 2 cups of water for about 4 hours.
- Soak saffron threads in one tablespoon lukewarm milk. keep aside.
- Grind the soaked lentils in the grinder with a little water to a coarse paste.
- Grease a small tray or back of the plate or thali. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a non stick wok. Add moong dal paste and fry on high heat for two minutes. I have used a non stick wok because lentil paste is sticky - so if you use an iron wok (kadhai) the lentil paste will be difficult to fry and you will have to add more ghee.
- Reduce the heat and fry the moong dal paste on medium heat until it is crumbling . Stir continuously. It takes around 10-12 minutes to fry the moongdal. We do not over fry the dal like moongdal halwa for this recipe.
- Now take the fried lentils out in a bowl.
- Heat milk in the same wok , add sugar. Take a boil. When sugar is completely dissolved in the milk, add the fried lentils. Mix well and keep stirring.
- Now add saffron milk and mix well.
- Cook until the dal has absorbed the milk. It takes 4-5 minutes to cook the dal in the milk.
- Spread out the lentil mixture on the greased tray. Let it cool down for about 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with slivered pistachios.
- Cut square shape pieces. There isn't any hard and fast rule for the shape and size of the barfi/burfi.
- Delicious Zafrani moongdal barfi is ready to serve.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
Your cooking time may vary from the time mentioned above as I work on Electric cooking range, which is slower than gas stove.
You can also use khoya/ mawa in this Burfi , in that case cut the amount of milk.