इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Rasmalai is made with chenna (variety of paneer)/cottage cheese made out of cow's milk. It is mildly flavored and very light dessert.It is usually a big hit in parties.
For sugar syrup:
- Sugar 1½ cup
- Water 3 cups + 1 cup for later
For thick milk syrup:
- Milk 1 lt
- Sugar 4 tbsp
- Pistachios 1 tbsp
- Green cardamoms 4
- Saffron threads 10-12
Method of preparation
For thick milk syrup:
- Soak saffron threads in one table spoon lukewarm milk. keep aside.
- Remove the skin of the green cardamoms and grind them in the mortar.
- Thinly slice the pistachios.
- Boil the milk, after the first boil reduce the heat and evaporate the milk for about 20 -25 minutes. Stir after every 4-5 minutes. Now add sugar, grounded cardamoms and soaked saffron milk. Turn off the heat . Let it cool for 30- 40 minutes.
For Rasmalai / chenna dumplings:
- Boil 1½ cups sugar in 3 cups of water in a sauce pan. After the first boil and when the sugar melts down completely, turn off the heat. ( takes about 5-7 minute)
Rub the chenna in between your palms or with fingers thoroughly. We need absolutely smooth chenna. This rubbing process takes about 10-15 minutes, depending upon the quality of the chenna.
- Now divide the chenna into 10 portions, and make smooth balls. Press the ball gently to flatten them. Rub the sides on your palm if the sides are cracking.
- Turn on the heat and boil the sugar syrup, pour all the chenna balls in the boiling sugar syrup. Cook/boil the chenna balls in the sugar syrup for about 20 minutes. Add about ¼ cup hot boiling water after every 5-6 minutes.
- After 20 minutes turn off the heat and leave the chenna balls in the syrup, and let them cool down.
- Squeeze the sugar syrup of the rasmalai / chenna dumplings gently in between your palms . Add in the rasmali dumplings in the milk. Garnish with pistachio.
- Keep in the refrigerator for an hour.
All time favorite Rasmalai is ready to serve.
Variation :Readymade rosogulla or rasmalai patties can be used in case if you do not have time to make chenna at home.This (quick!) recipe's idea is a gift from my friend Reena who lives in New york
For readymade chenna patties : Squeeze the sugar syrup of the rasmalai patties/ rosogulla's gently and dip them in the warm water. Wait for a minute. Squeeze the patties to remove the water and put the patties in the thick milk syrup.