हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Patta Gobhi Aloo ki Sabji
( Cabbage cooking North Indian style)
Patta gobhi is a Hindi name for cabbage. Cabbage is a good source of Vitamin K, C and dietary fibers. Cabbage is a very healthy vegetable and it taste very good even when it is eaten raw. Cabbage is used in many different ways to make salads, kofte, soups, breads, etc. This is a very traditional way to make Cabbage vegetable with potatoes and peas in North India. Try this dry vegetable preparation and please do share your comments. Shuchi
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 cups / about 400 gms (1 pound) Cabbage (patta gobhi) shredded
- 1 medium Potato
- ½ cup Green peas
- 1 ½ inch piece Ginger
- 1-2 Green chilies
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2-3 pinches Asafoetida
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- ¼ tsp Garam masala
- 1¼ tsp/ to taste Salt
- ¾ tsp Dry mango powder (Amchoor powder)
- 2 tbsp. Chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Method of preparation:
- Wash the cabbage and finely shred the cabbage into about 2 inches long pieces. (Start cutting the cabbage from a side. Then change the side to get even pieces).
- Peel, wash and cut the potatoes into half an inch pieces.
- Wash the green peas and keep aside.
- Peel off, wash, and finely grate the ginger. Remove stem, wash, and finely chop the green chilies.
- Heat oil in the wok on medium heat. Add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. When seeds change the color add asafoetida. Reduce the heat and add grated ginger and chopped chilies and fry for a few seconds.
- Now add turmeric powder and shredded cabbage. Mix well and fry for a minute. Add potato pieces. Mix well. Add salt, red chili powder, and half of the coriander powder and mix well. Cover the lid and cook the vegetables on low heat until cabbage and potatoes get tender. (Takes about 10-15 minutes)
- Add green peas, and cook for a couple minutes.
- Now add rest of the coriander powder, dry mango powder (amchoor powder), and garam masala. Fry the vegetable for another minute.
- Add chopped coriander leaves. Mix well, and turn off the heat.
- Patta gobhi ki sabji is reday to serve. Serve this delicious patta gobhi, aloo matar ki sabji with plain paratha or with dal chawal (lentils and rice). It always taste very good.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- I am very thankful to my friend Dr Ruchi, who gave me that tip years ago, to add fenugreek seeds which helps in the digestion of cabbage as it is high in dietary fibers. And it actually increases the taste of the vegetables..
- I have used frozen peas, which are mostly half boiled and takes just a couple of minutes to cook. I you are using fresh green peas add them with other vegetables.