इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Patra is a very famous Gujarati dish. It is also known as pataude (पतौड़े)in some regions of India. This dish is made with Colocasia leaves ( in Hindi it is known as ARBI ke patte). Patra is a low calorie delicacy - it is steam cooked and after steaming is fried in very little oil. Patras are usually served as starters. I am really thankful to my mother in law who shared this recipe and made it for us when we were visiting her in India.....So enjoy this dish from maa's kitchen....
Colocasia (arbi) leaves 20-22
- Besan 1 cup
- Asafoetida two pinches
- Salt 1 tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Chaat masala 1 tsp
- Ginger-green chili paste 2 tsp
- Garam masala ¼ tsp
- Water to make the batter
For seasoning/ tadka :
- Oil 2-3 tsp
- White sesame 2 tsp
- Grated coconut 2 tsp
- lemon juice, to taste
Method of preparation
- Below is the picture of Colocasia (Arbi/ ghuiyan) leaves. Remove the stem and wash the colocasia leaves. Pat dry the leaves on the kitchen towel/ kitchen paper.
- In a bowl take gram flour (besan), ginger-green chili paste, salt, red chili powder, asafoetida, garam masala, and chaat masala. Mix well . Add little by little water at a time to get the perfect batter.
- Now on a plate / thali put a leaf with reverse side up. Spread a layer of gram flour batter on top of the leaf as shown in the picture.
- Put another leaf in the same way on top of the layered leaf and put another layer of gram flour batter. And again . Now we have three layered leaves.
- Now roll the sides of the batterd leaf as shown in the photo below and start folding the leaves set.
- Half folded set of leaves.
- Completely folded leaves set.
- Repeat the process with the other leaves as well. If leaves are very thin you can aso make a set of 4 leaves otherwise make a set of three leaves.
- Boil 1 cup water in a broad bottom pot. On top of the pot set a steel colander. Now set all the rolled leaves on the colander and cover the lid of the pot. Cook them on medium heat for about 12-14 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. take the steamed patra leaves out and keep aside.
- When the patras have cooled down cut them into about ¼-½ inch thick pieces.
- Heat oil in a skillet/ flat griddle. Add sesame and grated coconut, and fry for a few seconds on medium heat. Now add cut pieces of patra and fry them on medium heat till golden brown. Keep turning the sides gently to fry the patra. Takes about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat. Sprinkle some lemon juice as per taste.
Delicious low fat patra is ready to serve. Patras taste great, but can also be served with green chutney if you like.
Some Tips/ Suggestions :
You can also add some sugar in the gram flour batter as per taste.
You can steam cook patra in advance and keep in the fridge. Fry the patra as required.
Some other Snacks and Starters