इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
The word Khasta means flaky and crisp. Khasta or khaste (plural of khasta) are spicy lentil filled, deep fried, savory bread preparations. Khaste can be made and stored in an airtight container for a few days. Khaste can also be served with potatoes and green and tamarind chutney. My parents have come to visit us and my mom likes to make delicious food. This is her recipe and I am really thankful to her that she not only made khaste for us but also allowed me to take some snaps.... So lets make khasta (khasta kachauri)…..
Ingredients for stuffing
(makes 16-18 Khaste)
- Urad dal ¼ cup
- Ginger ½ inch
- Green chili 1
- Cumin seeds ¼ tsp
- Asafotedia 2 pinch
- Fenugreek powder ¼ tsp
- Black pepper ¼ tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Ground Fennel (saunf) 1½ tbsp
- Salt ½ tsp
- Baking soda 2 pinch
- Oil 2 tbsp
Ingredients for dough
- Refined flour (maida) 1¼ cup
- Wheat flour ½ cups
- Semolina(sooji) ¼ cup
- Baking soda 2 pinch
- Salt little more than ¼ tsp
- Oil about ½ cup
- Water about 2/3 cup to make dough
- Oil 1 tbsp + for deep frying
Method of preparation
- Clean and wash the urad dal. Soak the dal in 2 cups of water for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the stem of green chili and wash it. Peel off ginger,wash and cut roughly.
- Remove the water of the soaked dal and grind the dal with ginger and green chili. If possible do not use water and make a coarse paste of dal.
- In a non stick wok heat oil. Add cumin seeds, and when seeds crackle add asafoetida powder and fenugreek powder. Now add grinded dal and and all other spices except salt. Stir continuously and fry well
Lentils after 5 minutes of frying
- Lentils after about 10 minutes of frying. Keep stiring the lentils .
- For this recipe dal (lentils) should be very well fried. It takes about 20 minutes to fry the lentils.
well fried lentil mixture for the khasta khachauri
- Now turn off the heat and add salt in the fried dal when it is lukewarm. Keep aside.
- Combine refined flour, wheat flour, semolina, oil , salt, and bakind soda in a bowl. Mix them well and rub between the hands.
khasta dough ingredients
- Add a little water at a time to make a soft dough. You need around 2/3 cups of water to make this dough. Dough will be very sticky. Do not knead the dough, instead follow the steps below.
- Add about 1 tsp oil and repeatedly throw the dough on the working surface. For this recipe you need to throw the dough up and down for about 50-60 times. Add a little more oil if the dough is sticky. When you are done, the dough will become absolutely smooth and soft as shown in the picture below.
Dough is ready to use
- Divide the dough into 16 small round balls.. Press the balls with the fingers. Fill 1 tea spoon of the stuffing and close the balls as shown in the following picture.
- Now roll the balls gently with the help of little oil into 2-2½ inch circles.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium to low heat. Dep fry the Khasta on medium heat till they turn golden red. It takes about 15 minutes to fry each round of khasta. Take them out onto kitchen paper.
Serve hot Khaste or store them in an airtight container.
Serving Suggestions :
You can also serve these yummy khaste like a chaat item to give them a new look. For this-
- You need masala aloo..
- Beat 1 cup yogurt thoroughly.
- In a serving dish place a khasta, slightly crush the top puffed layer of the khasta.
- Fill the khasta with masala aloo. Now pour around 1 tbsp yogurt and 1 tbsp meethi chutney, and 1 tbsp of green chutney on top of potato(masala aloo).
- Sprinkle little bit of salt, red chili powder, and chaat masala.
- Sprinkle little bit of sev/bhujiya.
- Garnish with coriander leaves
A delicious, tangy chaat is ready for the diwali party...
Some other Chatpati chaat