इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Kaju is the Hindi word for Cashew nuts. This is a renowned Indian dessert famous with different names like, kaju katli, kaju barfi/ burfi. Traditionally kaju katli's are covered with a very fine edible silver film (chandi ka varq) on top, but we don't get this silver film outside India.. On readers' special requests, here we go with an easy to make recipe for kaju katli.....
(makes about 24 small pieces)
- Kaju (cashews) 1 cup/ 200 gms
- White sugar ½ cup/ 100 gms
- Water ¼ cup
- Ghee few drops to grease the tray
Method of preparation
- Grease the tray, a small thali, or the back side on a baking dish, with ghee. Keep aside.
- Clean the cashews and grind in the grinder. Keep aside.
- In a non stick wok/pan boil sugar and water. After the first boil reduce the heat and boil the sugar syrup till it gets thickened and makes three string syrup. Three string syrup means that you take a drop of syrup between your two fingers and then stretch the fingers - if the syrup that sticks between the two fingers is making three threads (or strings) then the thickness of syrup is appropriate. Takes about 5-7 mins.
- Now remove the wok from heat and add cashew powder in the sugar syrup. Stir well. Turn on the heat and cook the mixture on very low heat until the cashew paste starts leaving the sides. (Takes 1-2 minutes)
cashew in the sugar syrup.
- Now turn off the heat and set the mixture on the greased tray. Grease your palm and spread it evenly. You can also use rolling pin to roll the cashew mixture. Roll it to ¼" thick. Let the mixture cool down, takes about 10-15 minutes.
cashew mixture spreaded on the back of baking dish
- Now cut the katli/ burfi into required shape. You can make big or small pieces as desired...
Delicious Kaju katli is ready for bhog/serving .
Some Tips/ Suggestions
You should not have any problem in making this barfi if the sugar syrup is thickened well. But in case if the cashew mixture is sticky, you can add a little bit of dry milk powder.
If you wish, cover the entire spread of cashew mixture with a fine silver film (chandi ka varq)
Fast( vrat/ upwas) recipes
Some other desserts