हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Almond Kheer/ Almond Porridge
Almond kheer is a delicious dessert. This can also be eaten during Indian fasting days. Almonds are one of the healthiest nuts and makhane (Euryale ferox) are rich in protein and carbohydrate and have significant medicinal values. So this sweet dish is healthy as well. I have used 2% organic milk to make this dessert but feel free to use full cream milk….Try this delicious kheer and please do share your comments….....
Ingredients ( serves 4)
- Milk 4 cups/ 1 lt
- Makhane (puffed Euryale ferox) 1 cup
- Almonds ¾ cup
- Sugar 1/3 cup
- Raisins 2 tbsp
- Green cardamoms 4
- Saffron a few threads
Method of preparation:
- Soak saffron in 2 tbsp warm milk. Keep aside.
- Wash the raisins and keep aside.
- Peel the skin of green cardamoms and grind the seeds in the mortar with pestle. keep aside. Note- Use cardamom skin in the masala tea.
- Dry roast almonds on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Keep aside to cool down. Now coarsely grind the almonds in a coffee grinder. I have used almonds with the skin.
- Dry roast makhane on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Keep aside to cool down. Now coarsely grind the makhane in a coffee grinder. You can also cut makhane in small pieces.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat milk. Add coarsely ground almonds and makhane. Mix well. Take a boil, after the first boil reduce the heat and cook makhane in the milk until they are completely blended in the milk and milk is thickened. It takes about 20-25 minutes .
- Add sugar, mix well, and cook for another minute. Turn off the heat. Add saffron milk and ground cardamoms and raisins. Mix well.
- Delicious Almond Kheer is ready. You can serve it warm or chilled. I like to serve cold kheer.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- You can aslo use some other nuts as per your taste.